The International Dysphagia Standardization Initiative (IDDSI),
formed in 2013 to help set a new global standard in practice and terminology in all care settings and in all cultures. The goal is to classify texture modified foods for those with difficulty swallowing liquids and difficulty swallowing foods, in hopes to keep those restricted diets consistent across the board. Texture modified foods and thickened liquids are all classified into one of eight levels, with specific qualitative and/or quantitative measurements. The specific number guide, terminology and color system initiated by IDDSI is being accepted and adopted worldwide. 128 countries are engaged and the standards have been translated into 51 languages.
Leahy-IFP is proud to be a sponsor of the initiative because we believe that standardization is key to the safety and well-being of those with swallowing disorders. For more information on the IDDSI Framework, visit their website!
FruitBlendz Fit In?
FruitBlendz™ Purees are IDDSI compliant with Level 4 Pureed, based on the IDDSI Framework, and are specialized for those who find it hard to swallow food and liquids.
IDDSI describes Level 4 Pureed as:
- Usually eaten with a spoon (a fork is possible)
- Does not require chewing, FruitBlendz purees are considered easy to swallow foods
- Can be piped, layered or molded
- Shows very slow movement under gravity but cannot be poured
- Falls off spoon in a single spoonful when tilted and continues to hold shape on plate
- No lumps
- Not sticky
IDDSI’s physiological rationale for this level of thickness is as follows:
- If tongue control is significantly reduced and the client has difficulty swallowing food, this category may be easiest to manage
- No biting or chewing is required
- This level is good if there is pain on chewing or swallowing
- And for missing teeth, or poorly fitting dentures
IDDSI has created the following video to show how the testing for Level 4 Pureed is conducted. In this example, they show consistency using ketchup. You can find more informational videos on their YouTube Channel here.
Why FruitBlendz™ Is
the Best Food for a Swallowing Deficiency
Choose the category in which you identify with to find out why!
Homecare Nutrition >
Are you caring for a family member with swallowing problems at home? Here’s why FruitBlendz™ is perfect for you!
- FruitBlendz comes ready-to-eat, with no thickening required. This takes the anxiety out of serving food to your loved one – you can be confident that what you’re serving is safe (and delicious) for those with swallowing issues
- You can get all 3 delicious FruitBlendz flavors delivered directly to your door
- Each tub is shelf stable and easily fits in your refrigerator after you open it. This means you can put an unopened tub in the pantry, and save it for when you really need it
- You can also use FruitBlendz Purees as an alternative to oil when baking for yourself. It’s a 1:1 ratio (1/4 cup puree to 1/4 cup oil, except in cookies). This means less waste
- You never have to worry about thawing FruitBlendz, making operations and inventory control simple for staff
Healthcare Professionals >
Increase efficiency and decrease liability with FruitBlendz™ Purees!
- FruitBlendz comes ready-to-serve, which means your patients receive a consistent product that adheres to the IDDSI Standard Level 4 designation every time, no matter which staff member is working
- Long Shelf-Life, meaning you can store FruitBlendz in your emergency stock
- FruitBlendz Purees are versatile: you can broaden your menu offering with our 3 fruit flavors for your patients with swallowing conditions, while also utilizing the purees in place of oil for baked goods as a healthier option for other patients
- Because the only tool necessary is a spoon or spoodle, there is little clean up, and no wasted product leftover in a blender, like with standard Do-It-Yourself Purees
Broaden Your Menu-Offering with FruitBlendz™ Purees!
- FruitBlendz purees are all IDDSI compliant foods
- FruitBlendz comes ready-to-serve, which means your patients receive a consistent product every time, no matter which staff member is working
- We use starches instead of gums to help with digestion
- FruitBlendz Purees are versatile: you can broaden your menu offering with our 3 fruit flavors for your patients who have difficulty swallowing liquids and food
- We use real fruit versus flavored applesauce, so you know your patients are getting the highest quality product
- Perfect for a Therapeutic Diet
- More savings per container than the competition
- Less waste than standard Do-It-Yourself Purees, and less clean up!
- Utilize the purees in place of oil for baked goods as a healthier option for other patients
- FruitBlendz mimic fresh fruit as closely as possible, making the exchange easy from a nutritional perspective
Ready to Try it Out?
If you’re looking to purchase for at-home use, please click “Buy Now”, and you’ll be taken to our online store! If you’re looking to purchase through your Foodservice Distributor, please click “Request a Sample” and a member from our team will help you out!
Healthcare Professionals & Foodservice